Sunday, November 2, 2008

Air Show

Today was the air show at Kelly. Amazing as always. Having grown up in the military, I miss it! There is nothing closer than a military community.
I was extremely saddened by the fact that Kelly is no longer a part of the military community. I mean I have known for years that it was sold off, but I just hadn't been there since it was a part of the military until today. And I can't help but wonder if the military had to pay to put on the show? What was once their own property has now been privatized and I just wonder who gets the benefits from the air show? How much did the military have to pay to put it on? Why do we let our defenses go? Wasn't this what led to fall of the Roman empire, among other things of course. We passed by some quarters where military families used to live and now it appears to be low income housing... why???
I have such fond memories of life on a military base... the company picnics, softball games, block parties, parades... what's happened to all that?
Why do our leaders feel like we need to privatize everything? Haven't we seen enough companies go belly up and mismanage funds and resources?
I had a lot of fun today and it made me realize that I would really like to be a part of that community again... know any really nice military guys??
Lots of families were there, many I am sure have no idea what it is like to see your loved one go off to war. Saw a few veterans... sad that they don't get the recognition that they deserve, especially the ones who fought in Vietnam!
What will it take for our country to realize that the military is the one area that we should put more money into and build it back up, instead of tearing it apart piece by piece!

No comments: